Thursday 10 October 2013

So here it goes...

I've often thought of keeping a blog, but never quite got round to it. So here it goes...

In this blog I want to have a look at the links between climate change and extreme weather events, with a particular emphasis on the predictions climate change models make about how these events are going to unfold over the coming years and decades. But before looking into the future, I'll go back and review some of the evidence for whether the weather is changing, and if we are seeing more extreme weather events (or surges in storms to put it another way) than 100 years ago.

I'd also like to have a look out how particular extreme weather events, e.g. Hurricane Sandy, are portrayed by both the scientific community and the wider media. As noted in the IPCC SREX 2012 (PDF) report for policy makers:
Attribution of single extreme events to anthropogenic climate change is challenging.
However there seems to be a natural human tendency to look for reasons for these events, and we're probably all guilty of seeking too simplistic a reason occasionally.

This is going to be a learning experience for me, I hope it's interesting and provokes a few thoughts here and there. I'm looking forward to developing my own understanding of a fairly large and complex topic area, and sharing what I find. So stay tuned for a whistle-stop tour of extreme weather events!




No comments:

Post a Comment